Monday 21 July 2014

Match-book Memories

Match-book memories


My granddad kept a large glass bowl of match-books;
He worked and travelled a lot, and liked to remember
Where he’d been, and so there are additions from
America, and Germany, and France, and Austria.
I added a few myself: From Russia, and Poland, and Croatia,
Though they were often snatched from Hotel lobbies,
Rather than bedside tables, which makes me sad.

I remember thinking about these match-books
On the day I went to Auschwitz; not nearly
As cold as everyone says it is. The renovation
Taking place on the prisoner’s quarters in camp
One broke me out of it, and I left feeling informed,
And slightly numb. The tour guide explained to us
A saying in German, meaning, ‘Hiding under the lamp’,
But I can’t remember why.

We soon moved on, and travelled south; enjoying
Summer in Vienna is a wonderful thing, and is
Good for the heart. I fell in love with Budapest,
we saw the palace lit up in midnight reverie. 
We found a water fountain playing classical music 
that stunned us a little.The
From Piltvice lakes, I took a drink straight from the
Stream, and found out what water really tastes like.

But after two weeks, I was thinking about Auschwitz,
And what a funny word it was to me, when I
Found myself shut up in a toilet, and the faces of
The prisoners rushed past me.
I suddenly knew what seven tonnes of hair
looked like; what 43,000 pairs of shoes looked like.
The tour-guide challenged us to find a 
survivor of three years, and none of us could.

When my granddad died, I went through those
Match-books, but I didn't find his memories there.
I wish I'd asked him to tell me 
what these little match-books meant
to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment